5 of the Best Butt Workouts That Work
These butt workouts are designed to blast excess fat off of your glutes to give you a rounder, fuller looking butt. The workouts below work your buttalong with your hips, thighs, hamstrings and the rest of your lower body. Working out these pieces of your lower body will blast fat around tone around your glutes to give your glutes a rounder, more toned shape. These muscles also make up a huge portion of your muscle mass so you’ll be sure to destroy excess fat all over your body with these workouts.
Squats – 3 sets of 10 repetitions
Squats are one of the most fundamental weighted butt and leg exercises. When done properly you’ll be sure to blast your booty. Be sure to go as low as possible while maintaining proper form. Here’s how to do the exercise:
- Start with the barbell supported on top of your traps. Your chest should be up and the head facing forward. Maintain a hip-width stance with the feet turned out as needed.
- Descend by flexing your knees, refraining from moving the hips back as much as possible. This requires that the knees travel forward. Ensure that they stay align with the feet. The goal is to keep the torso as upright as possible.
- Continue all the way down while keeping the weight on the front of the heel. When the upper legs contact the lower legs, reverse the motion, driving the weight upward.
Dumbbell Lunges – 3 sets of 10 repetitions on each leg
Dumbbell lunges are similar to normal lunges, but the added weight helps you challenge yourself through each movement.
- Start by grabbing to dumbbells that you can reasonably complete the set with. Hold shoulder width apart with both dumbbells by your side. Your palms should be facing each other.
- Keeping you body upright, take one medium to large step forward while naturally lowering your other leg with your body.
- Push through the heel of your front foot to push back to your initial starting position.
- Switch legs and repeat the movement to complete 1 rep.
Tips: Be sure to keep the dumbbells at your side and stationery through the entire movement. Be sure not to extend your front knee too far forward (generally not past your toes) to keep from straining.
Good Mornings – 3 sets of 10 repetitions
This exercise isn’t very common and the movement can be difficult to do, so start off with lower weighted sets until you’re comfortable. This will blast your glutes and your hips for adding strength, tone and stability. Here’s how to do the exercise:
- Find a rack with a straight bar and load the desired amount of weight to each side. The bar should be resting on a rack that’s slightly below your shoulders’ height.
- Approach the bar and rest the bar on your upper back or rear of your shoulders. While gripping either side of the bar with your hands for support, gently lift the bar off the rack with your body and take a few steps back.For this exercise it’s important you keep your back straight and tight and your knees slightly bent.
- Now bend your body forward from your hips, going as low as you can without compromising your form. Your back should be slightly arched, but tight. Be sure your legs are firmly planted and you don’t have the urge to fall forward.
- Pause at the bottom of this rep before slowly bring your torso back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired amount of reps.
Donkey Kicks – 3 sets of 10 repetitions on each leg
Donkey kicks don’t necessarily use weights, but you can use a resistance band between your legs or attach a pulley to one of your feet. Here’s how to do the exercise:
Firmly hold onto either end of the resistance band, and place the center of the band around the sole of your right foot. Then place your elbows and knees on the ground so that your back is straight.
While holding the band firmly, pull your bellow in, and extend your right leg straight out behind you. Then pull your knee forward but don’t let it touch the ground.
Curtsey Lunges – 3 sets of 10 repetitions
- Stand with your legs shoulder width apart and your knees slightly bent – this is your starting position.
- Step your left leg behind your right leg so your thighs cross while bending both knees as if you were curtsying. Double check and make sure your front knee is aligned with your front ankle.
- Return to your starting position, and repeat the movement with your other leg. This will complete one rep.
Hip Thrusters – 3 sets of 10 repetitions
Hip thrusters are great for your core, hips and glutes. They’re a great way to provide overall tone, strengthening and stability to your body.
- Load a desired amount of weight onto a barbell and position this barbell over your legs. Sit on the ground with your back against a flat bench or a sturdy box or platform. Tip: Use foam or a mat on your legs to comfort the load when pushing the barbell.
- Move the barbell onto your hips, then lean your shoulders on the bench and while exhaling, push your hips up towards the ceiling accelerating the barbell up. Your feet should be firmly planted throughout this entire motion.
- Go as high you can and pause, before bring the barbell back down as you inhale. Be sure to keep your back relatively straight throughout this movement to prevent injury.
These exercises for your glutes are a great way to get your butt and the rest of your lower body nice and toned, however remember that nutrition is a huge factor in any workout plan. If you’re looking to mass in your glutes focus on a higher calorie diet than you’re used to with plenty of protein, and good fats. Carbs do play an important role in gaining mass, but try to eat as much of your calories from protein and fats as possible. Studies also show that doing higher weight, lower rep workouts will really help you maximize muscle gain.
If you’re looking to tone and cut down on your glutes go for for a high protein, low carb diet. Good fats are okay in moderation, but really focus on getting a healthy dose of protein in and on eating less daily calories than you’re used to. To really get that extra burn in your glutes take all of the last sets of each workout to failure, until you literally can’t do anymore.
All in all, this workout routine is sure to get you that beautiful lower body and butt that you not only deserve but that your friends and love ones will love.