Healthy Fast Food Breakfast Options for Nutrition and Flavor
Who doesn’t like fast food restaurants? They are everywhere, serving delicious and affordable meals. Fast-food restaurants are one of the most convenient ways to find something to eat, especially in the morning. Despite the questionable nutritional value, people depend on these restaurants to feed themselves before starting their busy days. We’re happy to tell you you can find healthy fast food breakfast options. Yes, you can satisfy your taste buds while getting the nutrients your body needs without cooking at home.
Read on to learn various healthy breakfast options at different fast-food restaurants for you and your family to explore.
What Constitutes a Healthy Breakfast?
Breakfasts are the most important meals of the day. So, you must never skip them, and you must make sure they are highly nutritious. A healthy breakfast is a balanced meal that fuels your body and brain for the day ahead. It also helps you manage hunger and energy levels throughout the day. The key components of a nutritious breakfast include the following:
- Complex carbohydrates: You need whole grains like oatmeal, whole wheat bread, or cereal for breakfast. They contain fiber and nutrients like B vitamins, which you need to sustain your energy throughout the day. They also have a low glycemic load to prevent blood sugar spikes. Avoid refined carbs like pastries, muffins, bagels, and sugary cereals, which act like desserts and spike blood sugar.
- Protein: Your breakfast is not a balanced diet without proteinous foods. You need eggs, Greek yogurt, nut butter, beans or soy foods to provide nutrients for growth and muscle maintenance. These types of food fill you up, thereby helping you control hunger. They also stabilize blood sugar when eaten with carbs.
- Healthy fats: Your brain, heart and skin need to get enough healthy fats to function properly. Fatty foods like nuts, seeds, avocado and olive oil provide filling fats, vitamin E, and compounds like omega-3s. Avoid saturated fats from greasy meats and whole milk dairy.
- Fruits and vegetables: Fresh fruits and veggies are important for a healthy meal. They supply grams of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Berries, bananas and tomatoes are great options.
Aim for a mix of quality carbs, protein, healthy fats, and fruits/veggies for a balanced breakfast. Avoid excess calories and unhealthy fats from bacon, sausage, hash browns, sugary cereals and pastries. Over time, these foods can contribute to weight gain, inflammation, high blood pressure, and chronic diseases.
Healthy Fast Food Breakfast Options for People in the United States
Now that you know what you need for a healthy breakfast, it’s time to explore the restaurants serving them. If you’re in the United States, find some healthy breakfast options fast food below:
Best Fast Foods for a Healthy Low-Calorie Breakfast
Traditional fast food breakfast items like egg sandwiches, pancakes, and pastries often contain high calories. Fortunately, many fast food chains now offer healthier, low-calorie breakfast choices. These options can help you start your day feeling satisfied while sticking to your health goals.
You just need to know where to go and what to order. Here are 6 of the best fast-food meals for a healthy, low-calorie breakfast:
- McDonald’s Egg White Delight McMuffin (250 calories): This meal consists of an egg white patty with Canadian bacon and melty American cheese on a toasted English muffin.
- Starbucks Reduced-Fat Turkey Bacon & Egg White Sandwich (280 calories): Fluffy egg whites with Swiss cheese and turkey bacon on an English muffin.
- Chick-fil-A Egg White Grill (290 calories): A chargrilled chicken breast paired with warm egg whites and melted cheese on a multigrain English muffin.
- Dunkin’ Egg White Wrap (280 calories): Scrambled egg whites with spinach, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and roasted red peppers rolled up in a wheat tortilla. Each wrap is
- Wendy’s Fruit & Yogurt Parfait (210 calories): Creamy vanilla yogurt layered with strawberries, blueberries, and granola.
- Panera Apple & Peanut Butter Steel Cut Oatmeal (350 calories): Hearty steel-cut oatmeal with almonds, quinoa, chia seeds mixed with apples and crunchy peanut butter.
So the next time you need a fast, on-the-go breakfast, consider one of these healthier fast food options. You can enjoy a fast food breakfast under 400 calories by customizing your order and opting for healthy options.
Fast Foods for a Proper Vegetarian Breakfast
There are several good vegetarian breakfast options at popular fast-food chains. Here are 6 of the healthiest fast-food breakfast picks for vegetarians.
- Starbucks Oatmeal: Starbucks offers classic oatmeal containing old-fashioned oats, brown sugar and dried fruit. Ask them to prepare it with non-dairy milk and no butter. The oats provide fiber, while the milk gives you protein, a perfect foundation for a balanced diet.
- Panera Avocado, Egg White & Spinach Sandwich: The combination of egg whites, avocado and spinach in this meal offers protein, healthy fats and vitamins. Ask them to hold the cheese and sauce to cut down on saturated fat and sodium.
- Dunkin’ Avocado Toast: Having Dunkin’’s avocado toast for breakfast is a great way to start the day. Opt for the roasted tomato version, which gives you an extra serving of veggies. Pair it with an unsweetened coffee or tea.
- Taco Bell Hash Brown Tostada: You can get some veggie protein with the black bean Hash Brown Tostada they serve at Taco Bell. Spread some guacamole on top for extra nutrients.
- Smoothie King Vegan Strawberry Whirl: Smoothie King has several vegan smoothies. The Strawberry Whirl is one of the lower-calorie options, with strawberries, bananas, rice milk and pea protein.
- Burger King Impossible Croissan’wich: Burger King Impossible is a meatless breakfast sandwich with a quick vegetarian protein option. While not the healthiest choice, it’s lower in saturated fat than a regular sausage sandwich.
Nothing beats starting your day with a wholesome vegetarian breakfast from a fast food chain. Browse the food menu for items packed with fiber and protein nutrients, like oatmeal, avocado toast, smoothies and egg sandwiches.
Best Fast Food Breakfast Options for People Watching Their Weight
Finding quick and convenient breakfast options can be challenging when trying to lose or maintain a healthy weight. The good news is you can enjoy a satisfying breakfast without derailing your weight goals. Here are some of the top fast-food breakfast picks for people watching their weight:
- Starbucks Spinach, Feta & Egg White Wrap: This wrap provides a hefty protein from egg whites, spinach, tomatoes and feta cheese. It packs 20g of protein and only 290 calories.
- Dunkin’ Veggie Egg White Flatbread: Order your flatbread with egg whites, spinach, roasted red peppers, onions and cheddar cheese for a delicious 290-calorie breakfast. The combination of veggies, cheese, and eggs offers 17g protein and 5g fiber.
- Taco Bell Grilled Breakfast Burrito: This 340-calorie burrito loaded with potatoes, cheese sauce and egg will give you the boost you need for the day. You can add beans to the mix for extra protein and fiber. It provides 10 grams of protein and doesn’t contain meat.
- Panera Avocado, Egg White, and Spinach Sandwich: With 19g protein and 350 calories, this sandwich is also great for people watching their weight. The combo offers a good balance of protein, healthy fats, carbs, and nutrients.
- McDonald’s Fruit & Maple Oatmeal: If you want a warm and comforting breakfast, go for this oatmeal topped with diced apples and cranberries. It delivers 7 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber to help manage hunger. Add nuts for extra protein.
- Smoothie King Vegan Vanilla Almond Milk Smoothie: This smoothie blends banana, pea protein, almond milk, and spices. It makes for a portable, nutritious on-the-go breakfast.
Healthy Breakfast Fast Food Options That Are Rich in Protein
Healthy breakfast fast food options can help you build muscle too! A breakfast rich in protein helps keep you full and energized until lunchtime. Here are some top high-protein fast-food breakfast options to help power your mornings.
- Wendy’s Grilled Chicken Snack Wrap: Wendy’s grilled chicken snack wrap provides a solid 20 grams of protein thanks to the grilled chicken. With honey mustard sauce and veggies wrapped in a tortilla, you get plenty of flavor at 370 calories.
- Panera’s Protein Oatmeal: Panera’s protein oatmeal includes a mix of oats, quinoa and flaxseed, plus your choice of toppings like almonds and blueberries. A bowl has 12 grams of protein to start your day off right.
- Dunkin’ Donuts’ Bacon, Egg & Cheese Bagel: You can get over 20 grams of protein from this classic bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich at Dunkin’ Donuts. Pair it with a coffee for a fast, portable, protein-rich breakfast.
You don’t have to abandon your morning fast food run to get a protein-packed breakfast. Try any of these meals to fuel up fast for a productive morning.
Fast Food Restaurant With Lots of Healthy Options
From our research, we discovered that some fast food restaurants have more extensive menus of healthy food than others. Here are some restaurants to explore for a healthier choice of meals:
- Panera Bread
- Burger King
Eating a nutritious breakfast is crucial to start your day off right. The good news is you have plenty of tasty and healthy fast food breakfast options. So, don’t settle for sugary pastries or fatty sandwiches the next time you rush out the door in the morning.
Take a few minutes to review the food menu and select a breakfast that provides balanced nutrition. You can easily find something to satisfy your tastebuds and nourish your body at the same time.
Looking for more food inspiration, check out ModernFit’s library of nutrition and meal inspiration!