With many celebrities endorsing it as one of the healthiest alternatives to traditional weight loss methods, low carb is one of the latest trends in the weight loss industry. However, with scores of information up for grabs in the market, it is difficult to come to an actual conclusion on how to set up a personalized diet plan for oneself. The first step to figuring out a diet plan would be to understand keto vs low carb diet.
Let us have a deeper look into both of them.
In essence, a ketogenic diet is a low carb diet, but not all low-carb diets are keto diets.
As the name suggests, low-carb diets include a limitation in the intake of carbohydrates-rich food in your diet and replacing them with food groups containing a higher percentage of protein and fats. So one has to increase the intake of meats, eggs, seeds, fruits and nuts and minimize foods such as grains, potatoes, sugary drinks, and processed sugar.
Various types of Low-Carb Diets
- Normal Low-Carb diet – lower carbs, higher proteins
- Atkins Diet – No high-carb foods, protein and fat as desired
- Eco–Atkins Diet – Vegan version of the Atkins diet
- Paleo Diet – Palaeolithic era foods only
- Scandinavian Diet – low carbs, high-quality proteins and fats
- Carnivore Diet – zero carbs, only meat proteins
- Mediterranean Diet – food groups in Mediterranean regions
- Tim Ferriss’ Slow Carb Diet
- Whole30 Diet
- Ketogenic Diet
A keto-diet is a special type of low-carb diet in which the carb consumption is dropped to such low levels that the body goes into a high metabolic state known as ketosis. In a keto diet, you decrease the amount of carb-rich foods to a significant level, leaving space for a higher quantity of healthy fats and a moderate amount of protein-rich foods.
When the body is deprived of carbs, the insulin level drops significantly. In such an environment, the body breaks down the fatty acids from the body’s fat stores and turn them into ketones, water-soluble molecules that act as a substitute fuel for the body. The ketones supply about 70% of the body’s energy needs while the rest is provided by gluconeogenesis.
By research, it has been found out that a keto diet will result in higher energy levels than any other low-carb diet. Keto vs low-carb diet will depend on the goals you want to achieve and the amount of effort you are willing to put in it.
Advantages of Keto diet
A ketogenic diet has several advantages over a traditional low-carb diet, some of them are:
- Reduced Inflammation – Ketones produce far less oxidative stress in our body when compared to glucose. This results in less inflammation and stronger body immunity
- Aids faster weight loss – As the body uses fat to produce fuel for the body, the fat melts faster and hence the weight loss process is sped up significantly
- Emotional and mental stability – Crash and spikes in insulin levels lead up to physical, emotional, and mental problems in people. With keto diet, the insulin levels stay in control, giving you a sustained and stable energy level throughout the day.
Keto vs. Low-Carb
While it may look evident that a Keto diet may be a step further in providing a better weight loss aid, it essentially comes down to calorie deficit and not carb restriction. A low-fat, low-carb or a keto diet will provide similar results over a short period of time.
In contrast with each other, a Keto diet has more measurable results when compared with a non-keto Low-Carb diet. Balancing and adjusting the carb levels in your diet can tell whether you are in the ketogenic zone or not. One has to make sure to balance the protein and fats level of their diet along with the carbs in order to maintain a balanced diet.
Another important factor to be considered is the longevity of a ketogenic diet, which is much more difficult to maintain than a typical low-carb diet. A low-carb is also less restrictive and easier to transition in and out of.
Both ketogenic and traditional low-carb diets have their advantages and disadvantages. One should always consult a professional before starting either of the strict diet regimes. Other than the diet, one should also try to be physically active and emotionally happy to get the best results in their life.
Whichever diet you choose to follow, Modern Fit can incorporate it into a tailored meal plan that comes with a workout plan. Make losing weight easy, sign up today!