How To Find Obesity Doctor Near Me: Your Best Options
So, you’ve googled “how to find an obesity doctor near me,” and here you are. Over 40% of US adults are overweight, which poses a major health concern in the United States.
Obesity generally means having a Body Mass Index (BMI) over 30. A high BMI can be a health concern, indicating excessive body fat. This may put one at risk for diabetes, heart disease, chronic diseases and other complications.
If you are struggling with obesity, seeing an obesity medicine specialist may help get your weight under control.
Who Are Board Certified Weight Loss Doctors?
Board-certified weight loss doctors, also known as bariatric doctors, are physicians who specialize in treating obesity. These doctors had advanced training in weight management after medical school.
To become board-certified in obesity medicine, a doctor must complete a residency in a specialty like family medicine. They then complete a fellowship, focusing on nutrition, exercise physiology, behavioral health and medications for obesity treatment. Finally, they must pass the American Board of Obesity Medicine (ABOM) exam to earn their certification.
Obesity physicians use evidence-based approaches to help patients lose weight, reduce BMI, and minimize the health risks associated with obesity. Their expertise equips them to construct customized weight loss plans involving dietary changes, physical activity, therapy or medications when appropriate.
Seeing a board-certified obesity specialist ensures you get care from a doctor with advanced qualifications. It is a safe and effective method of losing weight.
How To Find Weight Loss Doctors Near Me: Why Should I See an Obesity Doctor?
There is a lot to gain from a visit to a doctor who specializes in obesity medicine. When you find weight loss doctors near me, here are some of the benefits:
- Tailored treatment plan: By going to a specialist, you will be at the center of the care you receive. An obesity doctor will offer an individualized obesity care plan, like diet recommendations and exercise routines.
- Co-morbidity management: Obesity puts you at high risk for type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease and stroke. An obesity specialist will treat these co-morbidities, too. This way, you can avoid the complications of obesity as you treat the condition.
- More options: General practitioners have limited time and treatment options. Obesity doctors can offer more options like detailed nutrition, exercise counseling, and weight loss medications. They will determine if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery. They may also refer you to specialists like dietitians and psychologists.
- Specialized knowledge: Obesity medicine is a rapidly evolving field. Board-certified obesity doctors stay up-to-date on the latest research-based approaches to medical weight management. So, they offer their patients specialized care that a non-specialist cannot offer.
- Long-term support: Losing weight and keeping it off requires lifestyle changes. An obesity specialist provides ongoing guidance to help you meet your long-term goals.
- Better outcomes: Research shows obese people who receive support from obesity specialists are more likely to lose weight and keep it off.
How Do I Find Weight Management Doctor Near Me?
Are you ready to find weight loss doctors near you? Try the following tips:
Visit a Government-Certified Medical Center
Major medical centers often have physicians specifically devoted to treating obesity-related conditions. You can go to the nearest medical center to find a doctor specializing in weight management.
Leverage Online Medical Platforms
Websites like Zocdoc allow you to search for doctors by specialty and location. You can filter for obesity medicine to find local specialists. You can also search your health insurance company’s online provider directory to find a weight management doctor near you.
Browse the Obesity Medicine Association’s Membership List
The Obesity Medicine Association (OMA) is the main professional organization for obesity medicine. You can go to their website and search their member directory for certified obesity doctors in your state or city. You can also call the OMA for referrals.
How To Find an Obesity Doctor Near Me: What To Expect
Once you find an obesity specialist near me, your first visit will likely involve the following:
- Medical history and physical exam, including measurements like height, weight and waist circumference
- Discussion of previous weight loss attempts and challenges losing weight
- Examining how your weight is impacting current health conditions
- Ordering tests like complete blood count, lipid panel, liver function and diabetes screening
- Setting achievable weight loss goals
- Developing a customized treatment plan involving dietary changes, increased physical activity, therapy and follow-up
At subsequent visits, your obesity doctor will monitor your progress and adjust the treatment plan as needed. They will work closely with you to help you lose weight and improve any complications. They may also determine if prescribing anti-obesity medications or bariatric surgery could benefit you.
In conclusion, seeing a doctor who specializes in evidence-based obesity treatment can help you reach and maintain a healthy weight. Obesity medicine specialists have the qualifications to offer you individualized weight management plans.
We have tried to answer your questions about “how to find an obesity doctor near me.” Try the directions above to find one and schedule an appointment for effective, supervised weight loss and better health.