Following a weight-loss diet plan can be tedious work when you have to plan each meal to keep track of every food you eat. While real foods are always the best option for a healthy weight-loss diet, you can squeeze in a few meal-replacement shakes to your weekly meal plan without depriving your body of the nutrients it needs.
Choosing the Right Meal Replacement Shakes for Weight Loss
There are too many options for meal replacement shakes at the supermarket and choosing the right ones – the healthy ones – can be confusing.
Consuming shakes for weight loss can either help you or fail you. Many store-bought products that claim to be healthy can derail your weight-loss efforts with their high sugar content. There are products that cannot qualify as a whole meal because they are low in nutrients and do not provide sufficient fuel for your body’s energy needs and satiety.
Getting all the nutrients you need is still important when choosing the right meal replacement shakes for weight loss. It’s not just about cutting down the calories and prep time. Even when you’re pressed for time, you should not sacrifice your nutritional needs. And when you’re trying to lose weight, loading up on nutrients whether from real foods or from shakes is the key to success.
When choosing meal replacement shakes to include in your weight-loss plan, you have to know how many calories, protein, fiber, and other nutrients you need to consume per day. You can then add a shake with the appropriate number of calories and nutrients to your daily meal plans without going over your calorie limit while ensuring that you’re getting your recommended daily nutritional allowance. It is best to combine your shake with a healthy snack, such as a piece of fruit to make your meal even healthier and satisfy your appetite longer.
The Best Meal Replacement Shakes for Weight Loss This 2020
Here are some of the most nutritionally-packed and flavorful meal replacement shakes that you can add to your weight-loss diet.
Premier Protein Meal Replacement Shakes
- American Master of Taste Gold Medal awardee for superior taste.
- Available in chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and cookies & cream.
- Smooth and delicious like a milkshake.
- With only 160 calories per bottle, this is best paired with another healthy snack to make a complete meal.
- Has 3 grams fat, 5 grams carbohydrates, 210 milligrams sodium, and 30 grams protein.
Nutrition info: 160 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 g carbs (3 g fiber, 1 g sugar), 210 mg sodium, 30 g protein
SlimFast Advanced Energy Meal Replacement Shakes
- Available in chocolate, vanilla, caramel latte, and mocha cappuccino.
- Contains 180 calories and can be paired with another snack to make a complete meal.
- Has 6 grams of carbohydrate, 9 grams of fat, 20 grams of protein, and 24 different essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin D, calcium, iron, and zinc.
Vega Protein Ready-to-Drink Meal Replacement Shakes
- Plant-based shakes packed with nutrients derived from pea and hemp protein, flaxseed, kale, spinach, organic spirulina, and cocoa.
- Contains 170 calories, 5 grams fat, 14 grams carbs (4 grams fiber), 20 grams of vegan protein, and 230 mg sodium.
- Pair with a hard-boiled egg for a complete meal.
Labrada Whey Protein Meal Replacement Shakes
- A highly filling meal-replacement shake with 280 calories, 40 grams of protein, and 5 grams of fiber.
- Lactose-free and with zero sugar.
- Has 9 grams fat, 9 grams carbs, and 600 milligrams sodium.
Lactose-Free: Iconic Grass-Fed Meal Replacement Shakes
- Packed with vitamin B12, calcium, and magnesium.
- Has 130 calories, 4 grams fiber, 20 grams grass-fed milk protein, and 3 grams sugar is best paired with a healthy snack to boost the calories and healthy fat and feel fuller longer.
- Available in chocolate, vanilla bean, coffee, golden milk, and coconut matcha.
- Contains 2 grams fat, 8 grams carbs, and 220 milligrams sodium.
Meal-Replacement Shakes for Weight Loss – Final Thoughts
Your weight-loss diet should include mostly real, healthy foods. Meal replacement shakes that are loaded with nutrients can be added to your weekly meal plans for those instances when you’re pressed for time, but remember that you should still meet your body’s daily nutrient and energy needs. It is best to pair your shake with a healthy snack to satisfy your appetite and make you feel full longer.
Whether you’re vegan or lactose-intolerant, there are meal-replacement shakes to meet your special dietary needs. If you need to lose weight to manage diabetes, consult your doctor first before consuming any pre-packed foods. Always check the nutritional information to keep better track of your nutrient intake, and especially if you are keeping track of your calorie consumption.
Let Modern Fit’s fitness and diet coaches help you create a personalized plan to reach your weight-loss goals! They’ll also provide guidance on how you can make lifestyle changes that will keep you fit and healthy for life!