A lot of keto dieters swear by MCT, and even add MCT oil to their smoothies and coffees. But, what exactly is MCT, and why is it regarded as so beneficial? The oil is considered to be a super-food, and several dieters swear by it to help them with a lot of medicinal things. MCT, in essence, is a by-product of coconut and contains a sleuth of health benefits. Much like coconut oil, it can be used in a plethora of ways to make your diet healthier and more nutrient-rich. Here’s a look at how the oil works, why it is right for you, and the best MCT oils in the market.
What is MCT Oil?
MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides, which is a type of biochemical compound found in coconuts. Triglycerides make up most kinds of fats and are found naturally in coconuts, palms, and also in breast milk. Our body can turn these triglycerides into ketones, which aid in weight loss and improving mental health. Most conventional MCT oils are sourced from coconuts and palm fruits. They are an integral part of low-carb diets, such as the keto diet as they help in providing the body with enough healthy fats. Furthermore, these oils help your body stay in ketosis, which leads to the breakdown of stored fats. Many studies have shown that MCT oil boosts the activity of ketones and enables you to feel fuller and satiated for extended periods.
Benefits of MCT Oil
- Helps increase overall energy by reducing chances for fatigue and tiredness
- Improves endurance and boosts the immune system
- Improves and engages your metabolism leading to faster fat burning
- Helps promote satiety and feeling of fullness
- Helps elevate, engage and activate various brain functions
- Since MCTs help your body burn fat, they are an essential tool that aids in weight management
- As healthy fat satiates you, MCT helps in suppressing hunger, causing you to eat less
- Serves as a fuel or energy source for your brain cells
- MCT helps your gut by blocking the entry of toxins and unhealthy bacteria
- MCT Oil helps improve your stamina, which allows you to exercise for more extended periods
How do MCT Oils Work
The MCTs in itself is digested differently when compared to other foodstuffs. They are directly absorbed from the gut and make their way into the liver without getting converted into fats. Therefore, your body can break down MCTs a lot quicker than other long-chain triglycerides. From the liver, MCTs quickly become ketones, which supply your body with the quick burst of energy that it requires.
Types of MCTs
- Caproic Acid: Though it converts quickly into ketones, coconut oil does not contain enough caproic acid, from it to be a useful source of energy. Furthermore, they smell terrible and have a tendency to cause upset stomachs.
- Caprylic Acid: Considered the best overall source for MCT Oils, this acid gets converted into energy in just 3 steps. They also substitute around 7% of coconut oil, while also producing 4 times more ketones than regular coconut oil.
- Capric Acid: While this is the second shortest type of MCT, it takes longer to break down into ketones. However, this is a cheaper alternative to Caprylic acid.
- Lauric Acid: Lauric acid is the most significant constituent of coconut oil, being 49% in volume. However, it requires a longer time in the liver to get converted, behaving like a Long-chain Triglyceride. Though it contains antimicrobial benefits, it takes a lot of time to get converted into energy and is hence not a great MCT.
Best MCT Oils For Keto
Bulletproof Octane Oil
One of the world’s most trusted brands of MCT Oil, this oil is made by the most famous Keto diet blog, Bulletproof. Over the years, it has evolved to become a go-to oil that helps with weight loss and fat loss. The Brain Octane contains a large amount of C8, which is the most effective type of MCT available. This helps it provide high amounts of energy, while also making you feel satiated faster. If that wasn’t enough, this oil also promotes brain functioning and is easy to incorporate into your diet as it is tasteless and odorless.
This oil is also very potent as it contains 14 grams of Caprylic acid in just one tablespoon. Also, their processing makes use of natural ingredients like water, rather than relying on hexanes and other cheaper substitutes. A great way to incorporate this oil into your diet is by using it as a salad dressing or by making Fat Bombs with it. Great packaging ensures you can take this pack with you when you travel, as it has a great reseal option that preserves the oil.
Onnit MCT Oil
Onnit is another popular MCT Oil brand that is made from 100% pure coconut oil. It contains a high amount of lauric acid and is very easy to digest. Just like Bulletproof, this oil is also flavorless and odorless, making it easy to add to your dishes. Since it is organic and vegan, it can be used by people who suffer from different types of chemical allergies. Furthermore, it does not make use of any palm oil and is also Non-GMO certified. The oil is considered healthy as it contains no fillers, additives, substitutes, or artificial flavors.
One tablespoon of Onnit contains almost 14 grams of MCTs, making it a potent triglyceride source. It contains more lauric acid, which has antibacterial properties, making it low in calories and great for your gut.
Perfect MCT Oil
The Perfect MCT oil is just as the name suggests, as it contains a lot of probiotics as well as MCTs. This makes it great for your gut, as it helps in improving digestion significantly. A healthier digestive tract will help you improve your metabolism and feel better in general.
Another great thing about this brand is that they make the oil in a powder form, making it simpler to add to the meals you cook. Since it is in a powder form, it is also easier to add to smoothies and other health drinks. The Perfect MCT Oil helps in boosting cellular function and comes in 4 different flavors. However, it might take you a while to get used to the taste of the powder.
Since it is available in the powder form, Perfect also gets rid of the mess associated with dealing with oils. Each scoop of powder contains 10 grams of MCTs, making this is an excellent source for your daily dose of ketones. The powder also contains a small amount of acacia fiber, which also helps in aiding digestion.
Viva Naturals MCT Oil
What makes this product unique is the fact that it comes from sustainable coconut-based products. As the name suggests, the brand puts coconut oil through minimal, natural processing to obtain the MCTs. It is 100% organic and is sustainably sourced. Therefore, it contains no palm oil, and also does not have any fillers, additives, substitutes, or chemicals in it. The only area where this company could improve would be their packaging, which isn’t very attractive.
Sports Research MCT Oil
The Sports Research oil is a mix of caproic, caprylic, and capric acids. It blends well with your morning coffee or after-workout smoothie, making it an integral part of your diet. The oil is vegan and does not have any inherent flavor, making it go well with all your healthy meals. Furthermore, it is organic and NON-GMO, so you don’t have to worry about it having any chemicals or additives.
That brings us to the end of our list of the best MCT Oils in the market today. Whenever you use these supplements, make sure you have only the prescribed amount. Very potent sources of MCT can cause issues with your digestive tract that will leave you feeling unwell. In case you do experience discomfort like an upset stomach, aching head, or stomach cramps, make sure you consult a doctor. In fact, we left out your favorite brand, let us know in the comments below so that we can add it to our list of the best MCT Oils out there!