Figuring out which nutrient supplements and multivitamins to take can be a confusing task. Many people are unsure regarding how to take them, how often to take them and whether they should do it every day. While certain people take one a day, every day, others consider them once a week. The only way to figure out the best strategy when it comes to taking supplements is to either consult a doctor or to research on the topic on your own. So, if you are trying to figure out what the best plan with regards to taking supplements is, then here’s something to help you out. Let us now take a look at what the best time to take supplements is and this matters.
Why Should People Take Nutritional Supplements
In a perfect world, where everyone got the right amount of sleep, exercise and good food, we would all be healthy. However, life in the twenty-first century isn’t always like that. We fail to have a balanced diet and therefore, sometimes as a result of that we fall ill. In such cases, we take supplements to help us through the issues that arise. Here’s a quick look at why people take nutritional supplements.
- Studies show that over 90% of the people do not get all the nutrients they need from the food they eat. Therefore, supplements help such people fill the nutritional gap and maintain a balanced diet.
- As people age, the rate at which they can absorb nutrients from the food they eat declines. Therefore, it becomes difficult for the body to receive everything it needs to function though you might have a proper diet. Supplements help enhance absorption and also makes up for the nutrients lost due to bad retention.
- Pesticides and other chemical fertilisers which are used to create the fresh veggies and fruits we need, increase our body’s need for extra nutrients. Since these toxins build free radicals that harm our body, we need dietary supplements to prevent them from wreaking havoc on our system.
- The more you exercise, the more nutrients your body needs. Dietary supplements help athletes ensure that they get enough energy and stamina.
- Bad eating habits, dependence on junk food and stress lead to poor digestion and nutrient extraction. Supplements help to ensure that such poor eating habits don’t result in serious health ailments.
- Not taking in enough vital nutrients can lead to severe health issues which will require expensive treatment. Supplements work towards disease prevention, helping you avoid frequent trips to doctors.
- Modern farming has robbed the soil of vital nutrients, and this has resulted in veggies and fruits having less nutritional content than before. Therefore, to make up for this loss of nutrients, we need to take dietary supplements from time to time.
Best Time to Take Supplements
Not that you know why you need to take dietary supplements in some instances, let us take a look at what the best time to take supplements is. Here are a few basic guidelines regarding the best time to take supplements.
- Multivitamin Tablets – Take along with a meal. However, since some of them interfere with other drugs, make sure you consult a doctor or a pharmacist before taking them in case you use prescription drugs.
- Vitamin D – Take such supplements along with your most substantial meal of the day. Make sure such a meal includes a lot of healthy fats, such as monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fats. Also, always remember to take calcium supplements along with Vitamin D pills to ensure proper absorption and retention.
- Vitamin C – Take up to maximum thrice a day along with your meals. Most of these supplements stay active in your bloodstream only for a few hours and hence must be replaced regularly. However, avoid taking such tablets shortly before going to bed.
- Magnesium – Eat these along with your calcium supplements. Have both along with a meal, preferably while you have your Vitamin D tablet.
- Calcium – Calcium carbonate drugs should accompany a meal, whereas calcium citrate tablets can be taken either along with a meal or even separately. Make sure you take calcium in doses of 500 mg as that promotes maximum absorption. In case you have a 1000 mg tablet, split it into two doses and have it along with two different meals.
- Iron – Have iron supplements on an empty stomach, preferably one or two hours before you plan on having your meal. In case your stomach gets upset due to iron tablets, have them along with a little bit of food, or a snack. The issue here is that iron absorption does not work well when it is eaten along with fibre. Therefore, try to pair Iron supplements with as little food as possible.
- Fibre – In case you take supplements for fibre, make sure you have the first thing in the morning, or right before going to bed. Drink an entire glass of water along with the supplement as well.
- Vitamin B-12 – Take B-12 tablets along with a meal and pair them with supplements for folic acid.
- Zinc – Try to always have Zinc supplements on an empty stomach. If such supplements tend to give you an upset stomach, have them along with a snack or pair them with your iron tablet.
- Probiotics – Always have probiotics immediately before or after a meal and never consume them while taking antibiotics.
- Digestive enzymes – In case you take supplements that help in the production of proteins, make sure you have them on an empty stomach.
- Omega-3 – Always take along with a meal. However, in case you use blood-thinning drugs, consult a doctor before you start with this supplement as it might give rise to complications.
- Protein – Have protein shakes and powder half an hour before you start your workout for maximum efficiency.
- Herbs – Always take herbs on an empty stomach.
- Vitamin E: As Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin, make sure you take it along with a meal that is high in protein and fat.
- Selenium: 200 micrograms of Selenium Should be included as a part of your diet. In case you take supplements for Selenium, take them along with your Vit E pills.
Use this guideline to plan how you take your supplements throughout the day. Make sure you always consult a doctor before adding any tablets or drugs, to prevent harmful reactions. Also, make sure you drink a lot of water throughout the day to aid with digestion and nutrient absorption.