Everyone dreams of having smooth, thick, and wavy hair that bounces about freely. However, not all of us end up having such hair. It is stupid to think that good hair is something you can get by frequently visiting a salon. In fact, to have good hair, you need to do everything you would do to have a good body. It requires maintaining a proper diet and exercising, much like what it takes to have a fit body. Still unconvinced? Here’s a look at why you need collagen for hair growth and how you can get enough collagen while on a keto diet.
Why do you Need Collagen for Hair Growth?
Collagen is one of the body’s most abundant proteins. It is used not just for maintaining good hair, but also for the creation and strengthening of your body’s ligaments and tendons. Furthermore, it is also essential for the upkeep and well-being of your skin. While your body produces collagen, it might need some extra help from external sources. Foods such as bone broth are rich in collagen, and the rest of the requirement may be met by taking the right collagen supplements. So what are the benefits that collagen provides? Here’s a look at why your body needs collagen.
Benefits of Collagen for the Body
- Promotes healthy, nourished and strong hair
- Provides your body with the amino acids required to grow and build hair. Since hair is made up of keratin, and keratin requires amino acids to sustain itself, collagen which contains a lot of amino acids may be considered the building block of hair strands. Whenever you eat foods which are rich in collagen, your body breaks it down into the most essential amino acids, which may then be used to build other proteins.
- Your body produces 11 nonessential amino acids, and the other 9 which your body needs comes from a healthy diet. Collagen is made up of three nonessential acids named proline, hydroxyproline and glycine.
- Since collagen contains antioxidants, it helps in the fight against hair follicle damage. Antioxidants prevent damage caused by free radicals, which result in oxidative stress, and therefore help in promoting hair follicle health.
- Since collagen makes up almost 70% of your dermis which contains the root of your hair, taking enough of it helps prevent hair thinning.
- Collagen helps in promoting the elasticity and strength of your hair.
- Taking enough collagen can help prevent premature greying of hair.
- Since collagen is found in tendons and ligaments of poultry and fish, it is something that you can easily add to your diet.
How to Make Hair Stronger Naturally
- Try washing your hair with dry shampoo rather than wetting it every day, which results in your hair losing its natural oils.
- Opt for natural shampoos which utilise organic products as they tend to cause less damage to your hair.
- As far as possible, protect your hair from heat by letting it dry naturally.
- Brush your hair gently before you go to sleep to distribute your natural oils all over your scalp.
- Apply argan and coconut oil to moisturise it naturally and to prevent split ends.
- Avoid fast-food and snacks laden with sugar, and replace these with healthier snacking options such as seeds and nuts.
- Prevent damage by mixing up your hairstyle often and avoiding tight buns and ponytails.
- Try to only brush your hair when it is dry. In case you have to brush when your hair is still wet, use a wide-tooth comb and be extra gentle about it.
- Always try to rinse your hair with cold water rather than hot water.
- Since collagen plays a vital role in hair health, make sure you take enough collagen daily, either through your diet or through supplements.
What is Causing your Hair Loss?
- Lack of vitamins and minerals in your diet
- Less intake of collagen and other vital proteins
- High stress
- Major Illness
- Extremely restrictive diet
Best Collagen Supplements for Hair Growth
Collagen for Hair Growth 1
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
An excellent collagen substitute, the Vital Proteins powder will help your hair shine and grow at breakneck speeds. Highly recommended by experts around the world, this powder is very organic and natural, being 100% pasture-raised. Being Whole30-approved ensures that the powder is kosher, and as it is completely flavorless and odorless, you can add it to just about anything with ease.
Collagen for Hair Growth 2
Their formulae contain biotin and collagen along with other vitamins that help with hair growth. Not only does this help you tackle hair loss, but it also helps in promoting hair regrowth. Furthermore, this formulae also does wonders for your skin and nails. Results may be seen around 30 to 60 days from starting the supplementary intake, as it handles the vitamin deficiency efficiently.
Collagen for Hair Growth 3
Bulletproof Chocolate Collagen Protein
Preferred by beauticians around the world, this particular product contains Bulletproof’s exclusive XCT oil. The oil adds a lot of high-energy fats to your diet, which helps you attain a more healthy and balanced diet. Furthermore, the slight chocolate flavor that the powder has makes it absolutely delicious. You can add this to anything from your coffee to your breakfast keto smoothie and instantly turn it into something super-healthy.
Collagen for Hair Growth 4
NeoCell Super Collagen Powder
The NeoCell dietary supplement goes well with any beverage or food and is a great way to add collagen to your daily diet. It has over 2000mg of collagen, making it a consistent supplement that will help you replenish and repair damaged collagen fibers.
As you can see, collagen is vital for hair growth. Eating the right kinds of food is the first step towards maintaining good and healthy hair. Try to include foods rich in collagen and biotin to enhance and promote your hair health. In case, you still feel there is a deficiency, you can take the help of supplements as shown above. Use these tips to regrow your lost hair and maintain your hair at top health. What are your favorite ways to promote hair health?