Best Subway Keto Options for a Healthy, Filling Diet
Most people feel that Subway isn’t a good option when you are on a keto diet since they serve bread. Subs, which is the most popular option at Subway, consist of foot-long bread. However, what if I told you that you could have great keto meals at Subway if you choose to? Let us take a look at the best Subway keto options for a healthy, tasty and filling diet.
Can you have Keto at Subway?
When you hear the phrase keto diet, the first thing that your mind rules out is bread. Since Subways are famous for their bread-laden Subs, most people assume that they have to step away from it. However, this isn’t always the case. Subways do have keto friendly menu options, and that includes most of their chopped salads.
Subway Keto Options: Chopped Salads
The Subway chopped salads are the best things at Subway if you follow the keto diet. To make them taste better, you can add double meat, all veggies and even cheese. Almost all these salads have less than 11 net carbs, making them a great Subway Keto option while snacking on the go. The two salads you need to watch out for all the Sweet Chicken Teriyaki and Meatball Marinara as they are carb-heavy. As for the rest of them, most of them are light on carbs, while also being super filling and healthy. Most of these Subway salads come with spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, onions, cucumbers and olives. However, it is best that you skip the dressing in order to stay on the safe side. Doubling the meat adds between one and three grams of carbs.
Subway Keto Salads Nutrition
|Sl No||Salad||Calories||Carbs (gms)||Fiber (gms)||Fat (gms)|
|1||Black Forest Ham||120||13||4||3|
|2||Oven Roasted Chicken||130||12||4||2.5|
|6||Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki||220||32||4||3|
|9||Chicken & Bacon Ranch||460||15||4||32|
|10||Cold Cut Combo||180||13||4||10|
|14||Steak & Cheese||210||15||4||9|
Best Subway Keto Options for Breakfast
|Sl No||Salad||Calories||Carbs (gms)||Fat (gms)|
|1||Egg and Cheese||170||4||9.5|
|2||Steak, Egg and Cheese||240||6||12.5|
|3||Bacon, Egg and Cheese||250||4||15.5|
|4||Black Forest Ham, Egg and Cheese||200||5||10.5|
|Best Subway Keto Side Options|
|1||Bacon Two strips||80||1||5|
|5||Egg White Patty||80||3||2|
Keto Subway Menu Dressing Nutrition
- Sweet Onion Sauce – 18 gms carbs
- Barbecue Sauce – 9 gms carbs
- Sweet Chili Sauce – 9 gms carbs
- Hickory Sauce – 7 gms carbs
- Honey Mustard Sauce – 7 gms carbs
What to avoid at Subway
- Breads and Buns
- Meatballs, chicken teriyaki and tuna
- All sweetened beverages
Tips to Order Keto at Subway
- While breads are the biggest USP for Subway, since they are freshly baked, you need to avoid it if you want to eat keto. Their meat and veggies aren’t as fresh and juicy when compared to Jimmy John’s or Jersey Mike’s, but are still alright.
- However, they do have great salads, which are big and filling, while being relatively low carb. Having them with double meat ensures that you get enough protein in your diet as well.
- The 6-inch bread carries more than 30 to 45 grams of carbs and even their low-carb flatbread, has over 25 grams of carbs. Their gluten-free roll has more than 49 grams of carbs, making all of these incredibly high-carb and un-keto.
- Wrap your filling in lettuce leaves rather than bread to make the process of eating your breadless sandwich easier.
- Avoid dressings on your salads and opt instead for plain oil or vinegar.
- The biggest issue with Subway salads is that they are low in both protein and fat. This could lead to you feeling hungry after having a salad. In order to satiate your hunger fully, go for double meat or extra cheese options. Adding extra protein and fat does not make your meal any less keto either.
- Subway dressings have hidden carbs which kick you out of ketosis, so make sure you choose the right dressing. The best option would be the Subway vinaigrette since it is just vinegar and oil. Furthermore, it goes well with all salad flavours.
- Make sure you skip all their extra sides, such as cookies and chips no matter how tempting they look.
- Since Subway has online apps and websites, make sure you plan exactly what keto meal you want to have before you go there. This helps you resist temptation and not order anything impulsively.
It’s no secret that the keto diet is highly fulfilling as it lets you maintain a healthy and lean body. But what about when you want to step out to eat with your friends? Is Subway a good option for keto diet followers? Hopefully, this post has taught you what to order and what to avoid when eating keto at Subway. Keto puts the focus on what you eat rather than how much you eat. By skipping the bread and sandwiches at Subway, you can still have a keto friendly meal at Subway. Let us know in the comments below what your favorite keto meals at Subway are.