Trader Joe’s Clean Eating List
Clean eating is not only healthy for the body, but also for the planet. Eschewing the modern way of eating may be easier said than done, with the convenience of pre-packaged, processed foods made easily available by supermarkets. But if you know what ingredients to look for, which products to pick, and which ones you should avoid or minimize, then grocery shopping for a diet consisting of real, whole foods will be made easier.
Trader Joe’s is one of the places that makes eating more healthfully easier. Here’s a handy Trader Joe’s clean eating list that you can use on your next grocery shopping trip.
If you’re serious about going over to the “clean side” of eating, your first stop at Trader Joe’s should be the Produce Section. You should load up your grocery cart with fresh produce. But there are other items in this section that you may also want to add to your clean eating cornucopia.
- Trader Joe’s Roasted Vegetables contain a nutritious mix of fall vegetables with olive oil, garlic and herbs. These serve as a tasty side dish, paired with roasted chicken; or toss in some leftover chicken shreds and sliced boiled eggs to make a hearty salad.
- TJ’s Organic Coleslaw Kit is a classic coleslaw mix of shredded green and red cabbage and crunchy carrots. It comes with a sweet and creamy dressing flavored with apple cider vinegar, lemon, and celery seed.
- Organic Spring Mix is a bag-full of organic baby lettuce and mixed greens. Just add more colorful veggies, beans, lentils, flakes of fish, and a light vinaigrette for a refreshing bowl of salad.
- Southwestern Chopped Salad is another salad kit that proves clean eating can also be quick, easy, and delicious. The chopped veggies include green cabbage, Romaine lettuce, carrots, radishes, green onions, and some cilantro. The bag also comes with roasted pepitas/pumpkin seeds and cotija cheese in separate pouches, as well as a zesty avocado dressing. Make it a full meal by adding some shredded chicken and freshly sliced avocado.
- Green Goddess Salad Dressing is one of those rare bottled dressings that is genuinely healthy. The Green Goddess is one of Trader Joe’s best-sellers because it’s not only full of flavor, but also contains all-natural ingredients including avocado, green onion, lemon juice, chives, basil, and garlic. It’s definitely vegan-friendly, but even non-vegans will enjoy eating more fresh salads dressed with the Green Goddess.
- Chino Valley Ranchers’ Pasture Raised Eggs are a safe choice for eggs that are sustainably and ethically farmed.
- Trader Jacque’s Cultured Salted Butter is naturally fermented so it’s “cleaner” than traditional butter. But as with any kind of butter, consume this creamy treat in moderation.
- Trader Joe’s Icelandic Style Skyr Vanilla Lowfat Yogurt and Cherry Lowfat Yogurt is made from milk that comes from non-GMO cows. This is inspired by Iceland’s traditional Skyr, it is thick, creamy, and tangy, but with less bite.
- Trader Joe’s Simply Almond Beverage is made only with water and almonds; it has no gums and stabilizers unlike other nut milks, so you can be sure that it qualifies as a clean food.
- Grilled Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary Chicken Breast with Rib Meat will pair perfectly with any of Trader Joe’s salad kits to make a quick and complete dinner. Take note, however, that the chicken is also sweetened with honey so you should skip this if you’re avoiding any kind of sugar.
- Trader Joe’s Organic Salsa might just become one of your favorites once you get a taste of it. It’s vegan and 100% organic, made with Roma tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice, Anaheim chili peppers, and jalapeno peppers. With medium-level heat, this salsa is perfect for dipping. Pair it with freshly-made guac when you also get some TJ’s avocados.
The frozen foods section is another clean-eating stop you must make at Trader Joe’s for items that you’ll want to stock your freezer with.
- Organic Riced Cauliflower makes keto and clean eating more convenient, so you should always stock up on this. Cauliflower rice is a versatile ingredient, you can mix it with stir-fried veggies, in casseroles, and even smoothies. You’ll find plenty of tasty recipes using cauliflower rice, so much so that you’ll make it a staple in your kitchen.
- Wild Silver Coho Canadian Salmon is specially packed for Trader Joe’s. Salmon is a must-have for a healthy and clean diet, and wild is preferable to farmed salmon. It’s more expensive, however. But whether wild or farmed, salmon is always good for you.
- TJ’s Uncooked Ground Buffalo Burgers is made from non-GMO, lean bison meat. If you’re limiting or avoiding meat consumption to reduce your carbon footprint, some environmentalists say that buffalo meat is better for the environment, so you can enjoy some burgers every now and then guilt-free.
- Trader Joe’s Raw Pumpkin Seeds are guaranteed to have no added ingredients, so they pass clean-eating standards. Nuts and seeds are also must-haves in your pantry; just make sure there are no other ingredients included, such as additives. These are great for snacking, as toppings, or mixed with your cereal or homemade trail mix.
- Trader Joe’s Raw Almond Butter contains nothing but almonds. Mix it into your smoothie or oatmeal; spread it on slices of banana or apple; add it to dressings and sauces.
- Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is a healthy fat that you should always stock up on. You can use this for cooking, or even add it to smoothies if you need the added fat. Get the unrefined oil, as much as possible, so you can enjoy the clean and genuine flavor of coconuts. If you don’t like the flavor, however, the refined oil is your best bet, although this will be processed and, therefore, not 100% clean but still healthy.
Trader Joe’s Clean Eating List – Final Thoughts
Trader Joe’s definitely makes clean eating more convenient. Whether you’re just starting out or you have already established your clean eating lifestyle, shopping at Trader Joe’s for some of your food needs is always worth it. There are a wide variety of clean food options that can help you ease into a cleaner diet, or make your healthier and more sustainable commitment more interesting and enjoyable.