The word Fat bomb might not have the best connotation when you think from a nutrition stand-point. However, they are a surprisingly efficient way to stay on track to excellent health. Surprised? Keto dieters have periodically been using fat bombs to help them get their daily dose of calories and energy. So, what exactly are fat bombs, and how do they help you stay on your keto diet? Here’s a quick look at everything you need to know about fat bombs, their benefits, and how to make them.
What is a Fat Bomb?
Though fats were considered as a public enemy in the past and the major contributor to a large number of diseases, that perception is changing. Studies now show that certain saturated fats, such as the ones found in coconut oil, and ghee can help make you healthy. They help increase our body’s levels of good cholesterol, improve insulin response, and control blood sugar levels. A fat bomb tries to harness this ability of fat by making it an essential part of our diet. They primarily work the same way an energy bar does, but are different because they focus on low-carb, high-fat ingredients such as peanut butter, coconut oil, and cream. Regular keto fat bombs contain up to 85% of fats and are regarded as a quick breakfast snack or post-workout snack. These fat bombs help keep the body in the state of ketosis, which is what the keto diet aims to do. Since most fat bombs are ketogenic, they can easily be incorporated into our diets.
Why Eat Fat Bombs?
There is a massive difference between saturated fats and trans fats. To straighten up a few facts, you need to understand that the latter is harmful to your body. They are formed as a result of the massive processing of hydrogenated oils, which makes them unhealthy. In fact, they lower good cholesterol and even promote inflammation by increasing the amount of bad cholesterol. Therefore, these kinds of fat make it easier for us to gain weight. However, experts believe that people should get at least 20% of their daily calorie requirement from good fats.
Our body requires these fats to absorb Vitamins A, D, E, and K because they are soluble only in fat. Monounsaturated fats, which are found in healthy ingredients like olives, avocados, and peanuts, help increase HDL and lower LDL levels. Also, since they are harder to break down, they help restrict the release of sugar into our bloodstream and also help keep us satiated. However, you need to make sure that you eat fat in the right portions and don’t overdo your intake level.
Benefits of Fat Bombs
- Fat bombs are low in protein and high in fat, which helps them help our body burn excess fat.
- They help people stay in ketosis.
- Coconut oil, which is found in fat bombs, has several health benefits and provides our body with the ketones it requires.
- Fat bombs full of high-fat dairy products are beneficial to health because they are rich in vitamins, healthy fatty acids, and minerals.
- Conjugated linoleic acid found in fat bombs helps prevent heart disease and also boosts our natural immune system.
- You get a lot of flavors, as you can make savory, crunchy, sweet, chewy, and even spicy fat bombs.
- It makes meal prep more comfortable and more convenient.
- Act as your easy-to-make, go-to source of energy.
- They are easy to adapt for allergies. For instance, you can make dairy-free fat bombs by substituting dairy products with coconut-based products. Vegans can also enjoy fat bombs by removing all the meat and replacing it with vegan-friendly veggies and nuts.
What Goes Into a Fat Bomb?
- Healthy Butters: Cacao butter/ Coconut butter/ Peanut Butter/ Almond Butter/ Grass-fed Butter/ Vegan Butter
- Oils: Coconut oil/ Avocado Oil/ Olive Oil/ MCT Oil
- Healthy Dairy: Coconut milk/ Coconut Cream/ Dairy cream/ Cream cheese/ Ghee
- Avocados/ Cacao Nibs/ Shredded Cheese/ Shredded Coconut/ Boiled Egg/ Bacon
- Low-carb Condiments: Cacao powder/ Unsweetened dark chocolate/ Salt/ Chili fakes/ Spices/ Ginger/ Cardamom/ Vanilla
- Nuts: Pistas/ Almonds/ Walnuts/ Brazilian Nuts/ Macadamia
- Seeds: Pumpkin Seeds/ Sunflower Seeds/ Chia Seeds
How to Make Fat Bombs
- One of the best things about fat bombs is that they are incredibly easy to make.
- Heat up the ingredients in a bid to soften them up a bit, if you wish to.
- Otherwise, you can also make a cold roll, in case everything you are using is soft.
- Make sure you heat up your coconut oil so that it becomes soft before adding to your ingredients.
- Throw all of them into a mixing bowl and combine them slowly, layer after layer.
- You can also use a blender or a food processor if you have a lot of chunky ingredients.
- Once the ingredients are combined well, mold them into small balls.
- After making them into balls, leave them in the refrigerator overnight.
- You could also flash freeze them for around 8 hours if you want to use the same day.
- Another great thing about fat bombs is that they stay fresh for about one to two weeks if you leave them in the fridge inside a Ziplock.
Some Popular Fat Bomb Ideas
- Pizza Fat Bombs
- Jalapeno Fat Bombs
- Choco-Orange Fat Bombs
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bars
- Peanut Butter Fudge Fat Bomb
- Cinnamon Fat Bomb
- Breakfast Bacon Fat Bombs
- Sea Salted Chocolate Fat Bombs
- Pecan Fudge and Maple Pecan Fat Bombs
- Raspberry Keto Fat Bombs
One of the significant problems with the most popular diets out there is that they are not very sustainable. If you live a busy life, then it isn’t always easy to cook for yourself. That is precisely where hacks like this become so useful. In case you are feeling low on energy in the afternoon, you could have one of these fat bombs and regain some of that energy you think you lost. Since they stay fresh for so long, you could make them in large batches and keep them in your fridge in case you are having a bad day. Fat bombs are easy to make, need fundamental ingredients, and almost no cooking equipment. Therefore, they are the easiest way to stay on track and not revert to your old, unhealthy eating habits. Share your favorite fat bomb recipe in the comments below to help other keto dieters enjoy the convenience of fat bombs!